Pearl barley, or perlovka, is considered a pearl among the cereals because of its exceptional nutritional properties. This typical Russian recipe is an easy way to sample this healthy grain.
Ingredients (serves four):
400 mL water or vegetable broth
1 large onion
30g seed oil
350g mushrooms (champignons work best)
200g pearl barley
Black pepper, salt, greens – to taste
1. Wash the champignons and slice them thinly.
2. Peel and dice the onion, then saute it in a deep pan with a drop of oil.
3. Add the mushrooms and saute with the onion for about 10 minutes.
4. Rinse the pearl barley until the water runs clear. Add it to the mushrooms. Mix in the water or broth.
5. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat. Simmer until ready, adding water if needed.
6. Add salt and pepper to taste.
7. Top with greens.
Find more info on Russian cuisine and delicious events in the Russian Kitchen!
from: Russia Beyond
Picture by National Institute of Korean Language, licensed under CC BY-SA 2.0 KR