INGREDIENTS (Serves 6-8)
8 oz extra-wide egg noodles
3 large eggs
1/3 cup sugar
1/2 cup melted butter (1 stick / 113 grams)
8 oz (226 g) cream cheese, room temperature
16 oz (453 g) cottage cheese
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup golden raisins
cinnamon, for topping
5 tbsp blueberry jam
5 tbsp apricot jam
1. Preheat oven to 350F/175C
2. Boil egg noodles in salted water for 5-7 mins until al-dente. Strain.
3. Meanwhile, in a large mixing bowl, add the eggs and sugar. Mix well then add the melted butter, cream cheese, cottage cheese, vanilla extract and golden raisins. Mix and mash with a fork until all the pieces are broken up.
4. In 8×8 inch non-stick (or greased) baking dish, add the strained egg noodles and the egg mixture. Mix carefully with a spatula without breaking the noodles. It should be very liquidy.
5. Now we do the ‘pokes’. Take a spoon a make a little hole in the kugel. With another spoon, drip about a tablespoon of blueberry or apricot jam into the hole! Repeat about 9 times or until you think the kugel has enoutgh jam. This is a top-secret kugel trick!
6. Dust the top with cinnamon (just a thin layer). On a low oven rack, bake for 40 mins or until the edges are crispy to your liking.
Picture by Stuart Spivack – www.flickr.com/photos/stuart_spivack/250163117/