INGREDIENTS (10 doughnuts)
1 packet dry active yeast (2 1/4 teaspoons)
3 cups all-purpose flour
3 tablespoons sugar
1 cup warm water
1 1/2 tablespoons oil + more for frying
1/2 teaspoons salt
1 tablespoon brandy or cognac
zest of 1 lemon
2 cups of strawberry jelly
1. In a gallon-sized plastic bag, add the yeast, warm water, sugar, brandy, lemon zest, oil, egg and flour.
2. Zip bag and mix ingredients well.
3. Place bag in a bowl of very warm water for 1 hour.
4. Remove dough from bag onto a floured surface. The dough should be sticky, which makes great sufganiyot! Roll out the dough to 1/2 inch (1 cm) thickness. Make sure both sides of the dough are floured, so it doesn’t stick to the surface. With a cookie cutter or drinking glass, cut 2 inch circles in the dough. When you are left with scraps of dough, roll it out again and cut more circles.
5. Cover with a towel for 30 minutes. Fill a pan with 2 inches of oil. Heat oil to 350F/175C. If you don’t have a thermometer, you’re screwed. Just kidding. Depending on your stove, the correct temperature will be around medium. You will know if it’s correct when you add the sufganiyot. The oil should bubble around the sufganiyot, but not a ton of bubbles. Fry the doughnuts for about 1 minute on each side.
6. Remove and place on cooling rack or plate with paper towels.
7. With a squeeze tube or piping bag, add your favorite jelly or jam to the doughnuts. Just make sure the jelly/jam isn’t too chunky to squeeze through whatever you’re using.